You mention Xero a lot on the website – do you use other software?

We do indeed.

We have experience with Sage, Quickbooks and FreeAgent and have current clients using these packages however we find Xero is the best all-round package for small businesses. 

And because we use xero day in, day out, we have an excellent working knowledge of the features so can offer advisory support and training to clients too.

I saw an advert that made it all look so easy but I think I’ve messed up – Can you help?

Yup, we’ve seen those adverts too.

Don’t be embarrassed, we’ve seen some pretty disorganised sets of books in our time.

Ironically, we love working on messy data and turning the chaos into calm. Our superpowers can cut through the mess and restore harmony to your books.

Even if you still want to get involved in the day to day processing and do the majority of the bookkeeping yourself we’ve got packages that allow us to regularly dip into your accounts and check it over for peace of mind.

If you’re ready to get serious about your business then get in touch and we’ll help.

What if I just need a one off job?

Not a problem.

We’ve got many clients who do their own bookkeeping and tap into our support once a quarter or once a year to do a “sense check” before passing their files to the accountant for year-end.

What paperwork do you need to do my accounts?

In order for us to complete VAT returns, year end accounts and self assessments we’ll need a few things from you.

Firstly, we’ll need valid receipts and invoices for your business expenses.

We’ll also need to see a PDF copy of your bank statement as at your period-end date to verify that balances in Xero match your actuals.

We may also ask for copies of things like loan agreements and hire purchase schedules.

To be honest – it depends on the service we’re providing. Why not get in touch and we’ll talk it through.

Why do you need the paperwork, my last accountant didn't ask for all this?

The reason we ask to see your paperwork is to verify your income and costs are valid.

Not only does this protect you in the event of an HMRC inspection, but it means we can claim business expenses and VAT back making things as tax efficient as possible for you.

It’s also a legal requirement to hang on to the paperwork for 6 years, so the sooner we have it collated and processed the better.

How should I send you my paperwork?

We want to make this process work for you.

If you’d like to post us paper copies, we can scan them in and process them on this end.

Alternatively, if you have an in-house file storage system such as Dropbox we can set up a shared folder to pick things up.

You can also email PDF copies of invoices and scans of receipts directly to either the accounting software or paperwork processing software.

But the one method we find works really well is to set up an accounts@ or finance@ email account on your domain and give us access. Ask suppliers to send all invoices and statements to this account and we’ll do the rest.

Whatever method you choose we’ll work with you along the way, providing full instructions where necessary.

How do I pay my PAYE balance?

We get asked this a lot.

You can pay this in a variety of ways such as Direct Debit, Credit or Debit Card, BACS.

Payment must be made by the 19th of the following month payroll is run, for example M1, April’s PAYE should be made to HMRC by 19th May to allow for funds to clear on their account by the 22nd.

More information can be found by clicking this link which will take you direct to for more information

I am a subcontractor under CIS, what information do I need to provide and what will I be given to show tax has been paid to HMRC on my behalf?

Firstly, we require your UTR and NI number to verify your status with HMRC to allow us to make the correct tax deduction (standard at 20% or higher rate of 30%)

Secondly, in order for us to process payment, we require an invoice or a timesheet to reflect the work done.

Once the above has been done, we then submit a monthly return to HMRC for the period covering 6th month to 5th of following month.  At this point you will be provided with a CIS Certificate.

The CIS Certificate will have your UTR, NI number and Verification Code together with a breakdown of payments made to you and tax deducted from this.

This should be kept on record by you and provided to your accountant at the end of the tax year when they are preparing your Self Assessment Tax Return.  This will show HMRC that tax has already been paid on your behalf.

I see you also provide Virtual Assistant Services – What type of work could I delegate to you?

Think of us as the Admin Team of your business.

Anything you’d ask your back office to do, we do. It could be getting quotes for insurance, it could be finding Public Sector opportunities to tender for, it could be creating a fancy presentation out of some scribbles or it could be helping you write your Policies and Procedures Manuals.

We have team members specialising in lots of different disciplines and sectors so if in doubt pick up the phone and ask the question – if we can’t help there’s a good chance we know someone else that can.

Do I need to sign a contract?

When we send you a quote you’ll notice we outline the services we discussed. Our Terms & Conditions are included in the document and these show the responsibilities of each party to ensure everything is transparent and we work well together.


Why are you asking me for ID?

It’s for Anti Money Laundering purposes.

As licenced professionals, we need to comply with certain standards, one of which is Anti Money Laundering (AML).

To complete the forms we are required to seek 2 forms of ID, 1 photographic and 1 proof of address.

  • Photographic ID can be either a passport or a driving licence.
  • Proof of Address can be a utility bill, bank or mortgage statement.

Unfortunately, a drivers licence cannot be used for both.

What's the difference between an accountant and a bookkeeper?

Although there is a definite overlap between both service offerings, there are also differences.

The bookkeeper looks at the detail. They will record the day to day financial transactions (purchases, receipts, bank reconciliations, etc). They will also often take care of preparing VAT Returns and payroll.

The accountant is usually more focused on the bigger picture. They will take over where the bookkeeper finishes and will use the bookkeeper’s data to prepare your Tax Returns and look after the compliance side. They will often assist with Tax Planning.

Yes, an accountant can do the bookkeeping but most of the time it’s a task they don’t enjoy.

What if I already have an accountant and only want bookkeeping services?

Not a problem.

We actually work for a few local accountants whereby we take care of the day-to-day bookkeeping, payroll and VAT and the accountant does the year end compliance.

We also have many clients that have had an accountant for many years and are very happy with them. It’s not a problem, we can work with other accountants too.

Am I tied into a long term contract?

Not at all, we don’t believe is forcing clients to stay.

If at any point you want to take over yourself or wish to move to another service provider we can step back.

Do you have Confidentiality Agreements?

Yes, we do. It’s included in our standard Terms and Conditions of contract.

How much does it cost?

How long is a piece of string?

We have several pricing methods each customised for different scenarios. Some clients pay £25/month whilst others pay over £1000 per month. It really depends on the service you require and how often you need us to work with you.

To get a more accurate price we have a series of questions we need to ask. This helps us gauge the commitment and skill level required. It’s much easier to in touch to arrange a chat.

contact box brand shape

Ready to add value to your business?

We’d love to discuss what we can do to support your business get in touch for a chat and to see if a bespoke ValueAdd package will work for you.